Kate talks to CJMQ about Bill Kenny, lead tenor of the group The Ink Spots

In July, I spoke with David Teasdale at CJMQ about the group The Ink Spots and their lead tenor, Bill Kenny who happened to be a family friend!  

This episode was hosted by CJMQ's Maureen Dillon!

Click below 👇 for my the interview with David Teasdale. 

👉👉Kate talks to CJMQ about Bill Kenny, lead tenor of the group The Ink Spots

Kate’s songs which were broadcast during the interview : “Kiss The Sky”, “Reason To Believe” and “The Words We Weep” (song about chronic pain). Lyrics and music and performed by Kate Morrison. 

My family were friends with Bill and Audrey Kenny since I was a baby. I vaguely remember attending a concert of his in Vancouver when I was a child, however I do not remember where. Bill Kenny did much charity work such as telethons benefiting the handicapped and homeless children. Perhaps this was the concert I attended. Profits from his album « With Love » as well as from his book of poems « Who Is He? » were donated to local foster homes for needy children. He was awarded the Vancouver Interfaith Brotherhood award and was said to be « a man of outstanding human qualities »! From what I remember of him, he was exactly that, as well as gentle, kind and interested in talking to people. 

I think some of my favourite Ink Spots songs sung by Bill Kenny are "My Prayer", "Whispering Grass", "I Don't Want To Set The World On Fire", "We Three (My Echo, My Shadow and Me)" and his own composition, "There Is No God, But God" which Elvis Presley circa 1971. Bill Kenny was an activist and spokesperson against racism and for civil rights. In 1949, Bill Kenny did a radio interview where he spoke out about his views on race prejudices. I would imagine that, at the time, this would have been a courageous act. 

In 1969, Bill Kenny's car exploded in a freak accident and his hands and face were badly burned.  The result of inhaling the fumes left him with respiratory and health problems.  In 1970, Bill published a poetry book called "Who Is He?".  My family received a copy and I remember noticing the scaring of his face and hands on the front cover's photo of book. 

Bill Kenny was an exceptionally articulate singer. One could understand every word. His diction was impeccable, his annunciation remarkable! My parents always made a point of telling me how important diction was when speaking and singing. They suggested that I should try to use Bill Kenny’s example for my own singing and music apprenticeship. As a result, I made this a priority as a singer and have often had positive comments about my diction when singing, in that people can understand all my words especially when I am singing! 


Baby Kate, my father and Bill Kenny, holding his latest autographed album, sitting in our living room, circa 1965.



During the popularity of The Ink Spots, 1920's to 1950's, I had not yet been born in those musical eras.  However, they are still a part of my musical heritage via my grandparents and parent’s history and because this is some of the music I heard and learned as a child. My parents would play The Ink Spots and Bill Kenny records at home, so they became a part of my music listening at a young age. Obviously, for those who hear my own compositions, it shows that I am also very much influenced by the music of the 1960s and 1970s. 


For me, music represents memories, and parts of my own history... Musical pieces and songs jar your memory, creating a space or a place in time. What I mean is, I remember events in time because they are linked by music... a song or a musical artist. Example... I can remember when I was about 4 years old or less... and at that young age hearing on the radio in our Vancouver home songs like “Downtown” by Petula Clark, or “Spinning Wheel” by Blood, Sweat & Tears and “California Dreamin”. I remember exactly where I was in our home when I heard some of those songs. All my life, if a song became important to me, I would also remember events surrounding that time period. Finally during my career, I finally decided to sing “California Dreamin”, and the memories from that song return me to being 4 years old!


To the right, Bill Kenny with my two sisters.


Bill and Audrey Kenny with my father, mother and sister, Marj, at our family cottage, circa 1966 or 1967.



Story wtext, Photos, Images / Texte d'histoire , Photos, Images
Copyright / Droits d'auteurs ©️Kate Morrison MusArt 2024
All rights reserved. Tous droits réservés

Updated 17 July 2024



Comments